L.A. for Choice is joining with other reproductive justice activists and bloggers today to participate in Blogging for Reproductive Rights Day. After what seems like an alarming barrage of assaults on women’s health and reproductive rights lately, we believe it is necessary to take this opportunity to say thank you to all our leaders who are fighting an uphill battle to salvage what rights we have left; to encourage leaders, activists, voters, religious leaders, teachers, public servants, women, men, moms, dads, sisters and brothers to talk to each other about the importance of reproductive freedom and to keep fighting the good fight for the women in your communities and in your lives; to implore supporters of women’s health and reproductive rights to contact your congresspeople and make your voices heard; and to demand that leaders who are trampling on our rights to stop that right now!
In the (unlikely) event you’ve missed any of this news, here’s a quick run-down on a couple of kind of major things that happened recently:
- Former Georgia politician, gubernatorial loser and Planned Parenthood-hater Karen Handel infiltrated Komen for the Cure and then everyone lost their damn minds. For a very in-depth accounting of the Komen/Planned Parenthood events, check out Sarah Kliff’s WashPost blog as well as her Twitter, where she posts relevant and timely (and dare we say, unbiased? yes, we dare) women’s health updates from all over the Web.
- Then, Rick Santorum lost his damn mind.
- And omg, a Republican supermajority in the Virginia House of Representatives HAS LOST ITS DAMN MIND. Hey all you lovers in Virginia, pay attention. This one is trouble. Call your congresspeople. Raise hell. A lot of it.
- No wait, add the whole U.S. GOP to that list!
- Even President Obama lost his damn mind, but maybe not entirely? Monitoring this situation and will report back.
Speaking of situations we’re monitoring, 40 Days for Life’s annual Spring Campaign is upon us. It begins February 22 and our local anti-choice harassers do intend to target our clinic this year. If you would like to join us to help women access safe medical care, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you set up. Happy Blogging for Reproductive Rights Day, and as always, be safe out there.